12 elderflower heads
1 lemon, washed
750g granulated sugar
2 1/2 tbsp citric acid
1. Shake the elderflower to remove any bugs.
2. Pare the zest from the lemon in thick strips, slice the fruit thinly. Put this in a bowl with the elderflowers.
3. In a pan, dissolve the sugar in 600ml of water, heat it slowly, stirring, bring to the boil.
4. Pour the boiling syrup over the elderflower and lemon, stir, add the citric acid. Cover with a cloth and leave for 24 hours.
5. Strain through muslin then pour into sterilized bottles and seal. This will store in a cool dark place but is better in the fridge.