For once I have actually stuck to my plan and made a Yule log (technically just a chocolate log, and actually I made it with a plain swiss roll rather than a chocolate one, but it is covered in chocolate icing). It was so simple! I used to be scared of making swiss rolls, all that cooking for 7 minutes otherwise it will crack when you roll it, and then there was the rolling! It all looked like it would go horribly wrong, I’ve made one in the past and it cracked impressively! Today though, it rolled perfectly!
75g caster sugar
75g self raising flour
1. Preheat the oven to 220c. Put the eggs in a bowl and whisk slightly.
2. Add the sugar and whisk until very pale, fluffy and thick. It will be almost white in colour.
3. Fold in the flour carefully. Spread the mixture into a lined and greased swiss toll tin.
4. Bake for 6-8 minutes until golden, if you cook it for too long it cracks when rolling.
5. Tip the cake onto greaseproof paper covered in caster sugar. Roll it tightly with the greaseproof paper in between each layer. Leave it to cool.
6. Once cool, fill with cream or jam or buttercream. It can be eaten like this, or decorated with yet more icing and frilly fancy bits if you want to.
It was yummy, it was supposed to sit there and look pretty for a while, but is about half gone already!