I can’t believe I haven’t blogged about this yet, I did a draft and then life went crazy and I completely forgot! This was my dad’s father’s day present. He eats a wheat-free diet, so I tend to make him something he misses whenever I can. So, he got a Custard Tart!
I used the recipe for pastry from the side of a Doves Farm bag of gluten free plain white flour. But, I also added an egg after trying gluten free pastry without an egg and it was like rock! However, this recipe, with the addition of an egg was brilliant!
200g Gluten free plain flour
4tbsp Cold water
1. Cube the butter and rub it into the flour.
2. Add the egg, then mix in enough water to make a dough. Do not work it too much as it seemed to get tougher the more it was worked.
3. Wrap the pastry in cling film and put it in the fridge.
Ingredients – Filling
4. Heat the oven to 190c, line an 18cm flan tin with the pastry. Blind bake the case. Remover from the oven and turn down the oven to 180c.
5. Mix together the milk and sugar in a pan, bring to the boil. Whisk the eggs in a bowl, pour the milk onto the eggs, mix and leave to cool.
6. Pour the custard into the case, cover with grated nutmeg and then bake for 20 minutes until it’s set.
This custard tart was a massive success and the gluten free pastry was pretty much just like normal everyday pastry! Definitely going to make this again!