For absolutely ages I have thought I should make bagels, I love them! As does my son, so I finally got round to it, and they were a lot less of a faff than I expected. I think I might try making some flavoured ones soon!
350g white bread flour
6g fast action yeast
210ml lukewarm water
1. Mix together all ingredients, knead until you have a soft, elastic dough.
2. Leave in a covered bowl and rise for an hour, or until doubled in size. Knock back and knead for a minute.
3. Divide the dough into 10 equal pieces, leave to rest for 5 minutes.
4. Flatten each ball, make a hole in the centre with your thumb, wiggle it a bit until the hole is slightly larger. Place on a floured tray, cover again and leave somewhere warm for 10-20 minutes.
5. Heat the oven to 220c, bring a large pan of water up to the boil, turn down to a simmer. Poach the bagels for a minute, turn over and poach for another 30 seconds.
6. Remove the bagels and drain, place on a tray and repeat with the rest of the bagels.
7. Brush the tops of the bagels with egg white mixed with water and sprinkle with poppy seeds, sesame seeds, salt, caraway seeds, fennel seeds, anything you like!
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.