Today, as I’m ill, I’ve baked to cheer myself up, and to play with my new piping stuff…so I made meringue! Because lots of people around me are children or pregnant at the moment, I have taken to using powdered egg whites rather than fresh ones, so my meringue recipe is:
2 packets of powdered egg whites mixed with 20tsps water (equivalent of 4 egg whites)
115g caster sugar
115g icing sugar
Method *Oven to 100c.
1. Whisk egg whites until they stand in stiff peaks.
2. Add the caster sugar a spoonful at a time, whisking in between spoonfuls.
3. Sift the icing sugar in gradually, folding it into the mixture with a large metal spoon.
4. Pipe the meringue mixture onto silicone trays or sheets.
5. Bake for an hour and a half to 2 hours until crisp.