For Christmas I did my nearest and dearest gift bags full of homemade treats. I expected the biscotti to be a ridiculous faff! But actually, they were relatively simple and very tasty! Perfect for dipping in a nice cup of coffee! So the recipe is a mish mash of a few recipes I found…this made over 100 biscotti when I made it.
300g plain flour
3tsp ground mixed spice
250g caster sugar
2tsp baking powder
Zest of an orange
3 large eggs
80g dried cherries
50g blanched almonds
50g unsalted pistachio nuts
*Preheat oven to 180c, line 2 baking sheets.
1. Mix dry ingredients except fruit. Add eggs and zest nd mix until you have a dough.
2. Mix in the fruit. Split the dough into 4 and make into sausages around 30-40 cm long. Bake for 35 minutes until risen and still pale.
3. Turn the oven down to 140c.
4. With a serrated knife, slice the baked sausages into 1cm diagonal slices. Put back on the baking sheets and bake for 10 to 20 minutes. Turn over and bake again until hard, dry and golden.
5. Cool completely on a wire rack and keep for around a month.